Powerful, MIPS-based device _or_ x86-compatible device

Started by augustus_meyer, May 24, 2018, 10:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augustus_meyer

I.e. some cheap "clone" of pcengines.ch APU2 would be appreciated.
For some of my apps, special WiFi-routers/APs (hotspots, local media servers etc.) the basic, cheap MIPS-based devices are not powerful enough, regarding RAM, CPU, storage.
And an APU2 is too expensive, although the optimal choice, as running full ubuntu, for example.

An alternative would be powerful MIPS-based device, i.e. using MT7621, but with modular design, to (also) include/allow RTC+battery, for VPN.  This one would have advantage of running openwrt, allowing inclusion of a lot of software packages.
ARM-based systems have some disadvantage here.

LubOlimex

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

augustus_meyer

Yes. But this is just another of the "too small devices" running openwrt.
By far, no comparison to a MT7621 powered unit, or even APU2.

LubOlimex

We are always interested in such designs and we already have experience with MIPS hardware, so a board with a more powerful chip is always possible. It is always on our radar.

We worked on a board with MT7620. We had few problems with the hardware design and then completed prototypes but I have no idea what happened, at the moment seems like this project is frozen. Maybe Tsvetan knows more and can tell you more about our future plans.

Check this wordpress post on the mt7620 board: https://olimex.wordpress.com/tag/mt7620/
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

augustus_meyer

Actually, as a freelance sw-developer, I have an ongoing project in Mexico, which is in production already for more than a year. We are using openwrt, on a MT7620-based board.
For a new, similar project in public transportation, we are looking for a more powerful device, based on MT7621, for example.
Would olimex be interested for a fee, of course, to clone an existing board/router, or develop a new one ?
As I am a German engineer, who did all the firmware for the existing system, I am in BG for summertime, so I am available for personal discussion of this project, if there is a chance for hw-development by olimex.
As there are MT7621-based CPU-modules on the market for cheap, it might not be too expensive, even to do a custom development of a router for harsh environment.

In case of interest, pls email me at augustus_meyerATyahoo.de

olimex

Hi

MT7621 is dual core MIPS running at 800Mhz which cost same as RK3399 octa core ARM processor.
I searched for board with it and can't find any, which is obvious with these price/feature ratio.
Your definition for low cost is different from what most people expect :)

Tsvetan

augustus_meyer

MT7621-based CPU-modules/basic boards to be found on alibaba.com
I.e.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/MT7621-chipset-3g-4g-lte-sim_60689241938.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.1.1c26362cszegIC&s=p

OK, low cost compared to an APU2, which would be best choice for our usage case, but too expensive for South America.

MT7621 I consider good choice because of software support from openwrt, and many software packages from full Linux available. Simple to integrate lot of available, maintained packages, like web servers, VPNs, proxies, PHP etc.

olimex

If this is not scam but real offer you do not need custom board, but can use this module.
Last time I check the price for MT7621 it was over $20 for the SOC alone, either the prices has fallen either something is fishy in this offer.
Making customized board will be always more expensive than to use mass produced board in China.

augustus_meyer

>Making customized board will be always more expensive than to use mass produced board in China.<
I would not be asking for a custom board, in case it would be available. As the link (also) referenced to the CPU-module, which might be used on a custom board, of course.

But I understand, you are not interested.
Sorry, to have bothered you.